Sunday, January 27, 2013

An Amazing Encounter with Vine Snake


Suddenly, I was beckoned by my junior and local guide, Shakil Pamthet, who urged me to witness some activity in the bushes along the trail in Lawachara National Park. It turned out to be an enlightening day for observing biodiversity. Shakil then whispered that there was a green snake silently devouring something. Intrigued, I approached a hedge plant for a better view. It was a green vine snake, a common mildly venomous native reptile found throughout Bangladesh. As I inched closer, I realized the six-foot-long slender green tree snake was engrossed in consuming its prey, a skink. Although the skink's body was only halfway visible from my vantage point, I could see the snake's lower jaw, with its backward-curving teeth, gripping the prey and slowly pulling it forward into the esophagus and digestive tract.

I

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I positioned myself within two feet of the vine snake and captured the enthralling moment with more than fifty clicks. Witnessing snakes in the semi-evergreen hill forest is not uncommon. We've encountered various snakes in different locations, with a couple of experiences being perilous and electrifying. However, the shared story was particularly fascinating due to its timing and eventfulness. Grateful to Shakil and Atik for accompanying me during this memorable encounter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers