Sunday, June 6, 2010

Drongo Couple-My Noisy Neighbor

The monsoon has arrived, and many birds have welcomed their offspring. A Drongo couple decided to make their temporary home on a tree in front of my room. I became a regular observer of these noisy, attention-seeking birds, known for their whistles and grating sounds. In mid-April, I first noticed my neighbors constructing their nest. Both adults were actively involved in building the uncomplicated, shallow cup made of twigs, vine tendrils, and grasses. The nest was placed in a horizontal fork of the tree, toward the outer edges, about 10m - 12m above the ground. Initially puzzled about their activities, I soon realized they were taking care of their eggs. Both male and female Drongos took turns incubating the eggs and caring for the young. By the end of May, around the 22nd, I observed my neighbors with two juveniles. The Drongo family diligently fed their offspring, actively defending the nest against intruders. The juveniles were adorable and mischievous. The adult Drongos caught insects in the air and fed their young. Perching on open branches or telegraph wires, they patiently waited for insects before pursuing them in acrobatic flights, showcasing a unique approach to catching prey. Within 4-5 days, the juveniles ventured out of their nest, making my life noisier. The youngsters would vociferously demand food every half-hour, traversing the branches. After two days of leaving the nest, they took flight. Although my life is now quieter and free from their noise, I can't help but feel a sense of missing them. Whenever I look out through the window, I instinctively search for that Drongo couple and their juveniles.

2 comments:

  1. Nice one. I especially like the shortness of the write-up. Easy read. But, what are bird babies called? Chicks? I don't know! :) SK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Juvenile.. sorry for late reply... for some unknown reason i couldn't open this page in last few days...
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Followers